|Comparing states voting for Romney with states voting for Obama|
(Right-click on image and click on "open link" to enlarge and/or print.)
The above chart was made using the 9/24/12 electoral map by Karl Rove that can be found at http://rove.com/uploads/0000/0711/Romney-Obama9.24.pdf . This map is probably the most reliable in that the states indicated are probably strongly dedicated to the candidates they are allocated for. The other data came mostly from Census Data found on the US Census site.
- Execution by state data came from http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/number-executions-state-and-region-1976
- Murder and Forcible Rape data came from http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/law_enforcement_courts_prisons/crimes_and_crime_rates.html using selection # 308 on that page and the Excel file at that selection.
- Educational expenditures by state were secured from the Excel file at Item # 262 at http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/education/elementary_and_secondary_education_staff_and_finances.html
- Educational achievement by state was secured from the Excel file at item # 233 at http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/education/educational_attainment.html
- Median income for each state was secured from http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/income/data/statemedian/ by going to "Annual Social and Economic Supplement" on that page and the "Income of Households by State Using 2-Year-Average Medians"
- The information on which states still allow physical discipline in public schools came from http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934191.html
- Finally, the information on Food Stamp usage by state comes from http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/social_insurance_human_services/food_programs.html